Topic Brainstorm

Topic 1: Ravana
Ravana as portrayed in the game Smite

Ravana has been an interest of mine since the beginning of this class. One of the games I play, Smite, features gods and characters of folk-lore from many different areas of the world. One of the playable characters is Ravana, so I've seen the name many times, but have never done any research about him. I'd like to know more about the traditional stories behind him, and why in the game he is portrayed as a boxer. One interesting source I've found talks about how one group doesn't see Ravana as evil.



Ancient weaponry has always been an interest of mine. Whether it was seeing them in history museums or watching medieval shows, the weaponry of older times is simply fascinating. Taking this to another level and seeing weaponry wielded by gods could be even more interesting. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what this could include other than the bows I saw on some of the comic book covers, but I'm excited to learn! Here's a link describing a Sudarshan Chakra.


Topic 3: Yoga

Yoga is my third topic because I wanted to include something that's a complete wildcard to me. I've never done yoga, never really planned on doing it, but who knows, maybe it could surprise me. I'm all for stepping out of my comfort zone to learn new things, and yoga sounds like something I could learn about and actually do in tandem with what I'm learning. MedicalDaily provides a brief history of yoga, specifically looking at Hindu scriptures.


Topic 4: Rakshasas

My last choice is Rakshasas. Much like my choice of Ravana earlier, I am interested in the darker sides of folk-lore. Bakasura is another name I'm familiar with, but have not done any research on. While I want to learn more about him, I am open to learn about all rakshasas in general. For a quick breakdown, I was able to read our own Laura Gibbs' entry about rakshasas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me

Week 13 Story: The Vampire's Invitation