My Thoughts on Feedback Thoughts

Article 1:  Make Good Art: Neil Gaiman’s Advice on the Creative Life, Adapted by Design Legend Chip Kidd

Going into this article, I had very high hopes. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, so naturally hearing how he's handled making mistakes and improving his work peaked my interest. Some of the quotes remind me of his writing style. It's comical, but gets the point across. In the face of all adversity, he says we should "make art." Even if we're making mistakes, that's where we grow. By making mistakes we're trying new things, and by trying new things, we're expanding our horizons. The one thing he wants us to always keep in mind is that we should keep making mistakes. Don't try to live a mistake free life, and you'll learn and adapt better than ever.

Article 2: Why rejection hurts so much — and what to do about it

I chose this article as it's been pretty pertinent to my life in the past year. As I've been applying for jobs for after graduation, I dealt with my fair share of rejections. According to this article, it's not usually the rejection itself that causes the harm. The harm comes from using that rejection as a means to fuel the fire of self-criticism. Say, for example, you apply for a job you know you're under-qualified for. Sometimes you shoot for the stars. You don't get the job, but you think it's because you're not good at this, this, and that, where instead, it's just that you weren't qualified. It's important to remember that rejections are just a chance at something else in the long run.

Overall, feedback has played such a crucial part in my life that I'm surprised some people take it as a negative. Feedback is the quickest way to learn from your mistakes. To me, a constant feedback loop is a great way to both learn and provide feedback for people. As we make these blogs, we're able to comment on other people's posts and make that feedback loop.

A quick visualization of a feedback loop in the business world

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me

Week 13 Story: The Vampire's Invitation