Week 13 Story: The Vampire's Invitation

Once upon a time, a man and his son were travelling across the United States. Stopping when needed at hotels, they slowly made their way stat by state. When they reached Oklahoma, they hadn't taken into account graduation season! All the hotels were booked and they were beginning to lose hope. One of the hotel managers mentioned that he knew where they could stay, but that there are rumors that it's haunted. Having no fear of ghosts, the two decide it would be fine to spend the night there.

Shortly after settling in, they here a knock on the door. A strange man in a long, black cape stood outside. He said he too was a weary traveler and this is the only place he could find to stay. This man and his son did not want visitors, so they told him to go away. The man, starting to look desperate said if he could just step in for a minute he would be alright. The man at the door asks why he's so persistent to get an invitation into the house, and that's when he remembered those awful vampire horror flicks his son was obsessed with. A vampire cannot enter unless invited in!

Soon the son and the man began to talk to the vampire from the other side of the door, asking why he must feed on people's blood to survive. They convinced him that he must be able to find some other food source, and they will help him as long as he doesn't drink their blood. The next night, the father and son had prepared a full feast of different foods for the vampire to try, and he was able to find out how to live his life without drinking any more human blood!

Author's Note: This is very loosely based off The Goblin and the Sneeze by W. H. D. Rouse. In that story, the Goblin cannot attack unless someone sneezes and is not blessed. In this, the vampire cannot enter unless invited. I've been watching a lot of vampire movies in all this quarantine time, so it just kinda popped into my head.

A Funky lil Vampire

Comments

  1. Hi Reid!
    This was such a creative story using one of the most iconic mythical characters. By the end of the story, I was left on the edge of the seat. I have a feeling that the vampire betrayed the father and son and bit one or both of them. The person who warned them about the hotel was sure right. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reid!
    I had an obsession with vampires as a kid, so this was a really fun read for me. I love the creative energy you put into this story. I also loved the image you chose to include. LOL! I wish you would have included which food turned the vampire off of blood, I bet it was mashed potatoes... Anyway, I really enjoyed your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Reid! I love this story, especially because I did not expect the man and his son to have a conversation with the vampire. I was expecting something completely different. I have also been watching a lot of movies in quarantine but I think I will need to add some vampire ones! I think you're writing is great and very engaging! And the image is also very funny, imagine seeing him at your doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Reid,
    Your funky lil vampire picture made me chuckle. I liked your story; it was a funny mental image to imagine a vampire awkwardly seated down in front of this feast of human food. I have a feeling he ended up rejecting the people food in favor of people AS food though. RIP the father and son duo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Reid,

    Wow! Cool story! I liked that you took an old trope (vampires not being able to enter a house unless invited in) and put it in a modern story with a new twist. I was a little confused though about the place they were staying at. Was it a hotel? If so, why don't the main characters suggest that the vampire just get his own room instead of turning him away so quickly? It also kind of felt like a house, since that is where that vampire myth came from, but I wasn't sure! Anyway, I liked the twist that they helped the vampire get over his bloody appetite (but I have a headcannon that the vampire betrayed them anyway after the feast haha). Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Reid,
    I knew about vampires and their inability to enter without an invitation, but I didn't ever know about goblins and sneezing. I really enjoyed the fact that the vampire did not end up being a bad guy in this story. I kept thinking when is the vampire going to show his true colors, but his true colors were always shown from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Reid,
    This is a fun take on the original short. I'm wondering what kind of foods that found for the vampire. I'm guessing nothing infused with garlic, which is a real shame for the vampire. The picture you added is pretty cool as well, props to the artist. I thought it was funny that their saving grace from the vampire was the fact that the son had watched so many vampire films. Its one of those cheesy details that make everything more comical. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me